You’re ONLY protected when you buy from an OMVIC-Registered Dealer, so take extra care when buying privately. Consider the following car-buying tips:
- Ask questions: how long was vehicle owned? Are there maintenance records? Why are they selling?
- Ask seller for ID and compare it to vehicle ownership: they must match
- Take thorough test drive – not just around the block
- Purchase and review vehicle history report before deciding (CARFAX)
- Carefully review Used Vehicle Information Package (UVIP) – seller must provide it (ensure all pages provided)
- Ensure no liens on vehicle (info usually available on UVIP or CARFAX)
- Have vehicle inspected by trusted mechanic before purchase
- Check emissions testing history if vehicle is more than seven years old
- Request a receipt that includes seller's information and actual selling price
If you choose to buy privately, educate yourself; don’t become a curbsider’s victim. Click here to spot the telltale signs of curbsiders.
OMVIC Academy Video-5
Buying from a Private Seller
Roleplaying: the class helps Justin prepare for an appointment with a private seller. Will he remember the right questions to ask?